[The universe, the earth, the Rocky Mountains, Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon and YOU were created by Almighty God. He exists, whether you believe in Him nor not. That same powerful God can change your life. He really can. I know because He changed my life. – Terri]
1. GOD IS THE SOURCE OF EVERYTHING YOUNEED TO LIVE
“The Lord is my shepherd. I lack nothing.” Psalm 23:1You do not have to look anywhere else to have your needs met- not Wall Street, not the government, not your spouse, not your IRA, not Social Security and not your job. You need to put your security in something that can never be taken away from you. You can lose your health, your job, your good looks, your husband, your family, your life and your mind. Do not put your security in any one or anything – they can be taken from you. The only thing that matters is your relationship with God. Nobody can take that away from you.
“The Lord is your shepherd.” Psalm 23:1What is a shepherd? The shepherd is the person who cares for sheep. Sheep are defenseless animals. They have a lot of natural predators. They are not fast, they cannot run, they do not have claws and they do not have sharp teeth that can bite. They are not very smart animals. They get lost, fall off cliffs – they really need a defender, a shepherd. Left on its own a sheep is going to get eaten.
What does a shepherd do? This is what God, our shepherd wants to do for you.
A shepherd feeds, leads and meets needs. God says he will be your shepherd. He will feed you, he will lead you and he will meet your needs. Sometimes you need protection. Sometimes you need comfort. Sometimes you need encouragement. Sometimes you need discipline. Sometimes you need direction. If you are a parent, you are a shepherd. It is your job to feed, lead and meet needs. If you are in a management position it is your job to feed, lead and meet needs. You feed information and motivation. The word pastor is the Greek word for shepherd. It is your pastor’s job to feed you the Bible. It is your pastor’s job to lead you and to meet your needs. If you are in any caring ministry you are a shepherd.
2. There is nothing you need that God cannot supply. “God will supply all you ever need from his glorious resources in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19 NLT. God’s goodness is not based on your goodness. It is based on his goodness. You don’t have to be good for God to be good to you. God is good to you because of what Jesus did on the cross.
3. God does not want you to worry about anything. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. “Don’t worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Philippians 4:6NLT. Worry may be the most common sin on the planet. Worry is rebellion against God. God tells us we don’t need to worry. God tells us he does not want us to worry. You can pray or you can panic. If you’re not praying, you’re panicking. You either worry or you worship. When you invite worship in the front door worrying goes out the back door. When you invite worry in the front door worship goes out the back door.
WHY DOESN’T GOD WANT YOU TO WORRY?
1. WORRY IS UNREASONABLE, ILLOGICAL AND IRRATIONAL. . “Don’t worry about your life, what you will eat or drink. And don’t worry about your body or what you will wear. Your life is far more important then clothes.” Matthew 6:25NLT.
1. You worry about the wrong thing. We worry about the little stuff – how you look, what you feel, what you say, if you are running late.We worry about things that will not matter in five years. If you are going to worry -worry about things that are eternal not external. Worry about stuff that’s going to matter in 10 years or 100 years or 1000 years or for eternity. Most of the things we worry about are temporary things.
2. You worry about things we cannot change. To worry about something you cannot change is useless. To worry about something you can change is stupid. If you can change it – change it. Worrying about it will not change it at all.
3. Anytime you worry about something it keeps getting bigger in your mind. If somebody criticizes you, says an unkind word to you, makes an off the wall comment and hurts your feelings you worry about that. What does that mean? They’ve probably already forgotten it. They probably did not even mean it in the first place. If you keep going over a worry in your mind, the worry never gets smaller. When you worry it always get bigger. If you continue worrying you think the whole world hates you. That is the irrationality of worry.
2. WORRY IS UNNATURAL. “Look at the birds of the air. They don’t sow or reap or store away in barns. And yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not more valuable than birds?” Nature does not worry. Human beings are the only things God created in all of the universe that worry. Ants, horses, cows, plants and rocks do not worry. Worry is rebellion against God. It is unnatural. You were not made to worry.“Why do you worry about your clothes? Look at the flowers. Look at the field of lilies. They don’t worry about how they look. Yet King Solomon in all his glory was not clothed as beautiful as they are.” Matthew 6:28, 29 If you have ever looked closely at an orchid or a rose or any kind of flower you can see the design, the detail and the beauty. Look at a wildflower. God says they are beautiful just the way they are. They do not have to put on make up. They do not have to get fancy and they do not have to worry about how they appear to everyone else. They are beautiful. You are beautiful just the way you are. God created everything else but he made you his child. God is not the father of horses, cows, birds or ants. They were not made in God’s image. You are distinctly different from all the animals. You were made in gods image. Have you ever seen a cow praying? You never see a doggy going to warship. God cares for you as a father. Children get special privileges. You are worth more than the birds.
3. Worry is unhelpful. It is useless. It does not change anything. “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” Matthew 6:27 Worry cannot make you an inch taller, an inch shorter, bigger or smaller, or thinner or fatter. Worry does not work. Worry can shorten your life. Tension and stress can shorten your life. Worry about any one problem in your life will never make you one step closer to the solution. Worry is stewing without doing. It is investing a lot of emotional energy into something that is not going to do anything. It is like sitting in a rocking chair. You can rock back-and-forth back-and-forth back-and-forth but you have not moved 1 inch. You have made no progress at all. The only thing worry can change is you. It will make you miserable. It won’t change the person you are worried about. Worry cannot change anything in your past. It’s already done. Your past has passed so why are you worried about it? Warry cannot control your future. You are not controlling your future by worrying about it. If it can’t change the past and it can’t control the future what good does worry do? It would mess it up today. Proverbs 12:25 Tells us that were he weighs us down. You worry about so many things -you get discouraged, you get depressed and you get filled with despair. God tells us our body was not designed for worry. Every time you swallow your worry your stomach keeps score. Every time you swallow your worry you say oh my aching back. Oh I have a headache. All my stomach is upset. Why? Because you were not made to internalize worry. It is unhelpful. It is bad for your health. People who don’t worry don’t live as long.
message from Pastor Rick Warren.